2.6.0-test7 my cardbus card works (after a manual modprobe), but cardmgr never notices the insertion

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Wed Oct 29 23:36:38 GMT 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 01:12:43AM -0500, Tim Shepard wrote:

> I boot my linux-2.6.0-test7 kernel, and then run '/etc/init.d/pcmcia start'.
> Then I insert the card and nothing happens.
> But if I 'modprobe 3c59x' then the card starts working and I can
> ifconfig it and start using it and everything is fine.  I've been
> using it this way (manually modprobing 3c59x and then manually
> ifconfiging) for a few weeks now with no problems.

This is not a cardmgr problem; cardmgr is working as designed.  With
this kernel, CardBus cards are managed by the hotplug system.  Verify
that your kernel has CONFIG_HOTPLUG enabled and that you have a
current version of the linux-hotplug package.

> Then I got sources for cardmgr and tried to compile them, and
> discovered that I don't know how to get the cardmgr from
> pcmcia-cs-3.2.5, pcmcia-cs.09-Oct-03, or pcmcia-cs.29-Oct-03 to
> compile with a linux-2.6.0-test7 kernel tree.  So my cardmgr is still
> from the Debian pcmcia-cs 3.1.33-6 package.

Care to report what problem you had, specifically?

> I would appreciate any hints on how to get a working cardmgr (one that
> actually wakes up and notices that a card has been inserted).

It did wake up and notice; it just didn't do anything since that isn't
its job.

-- Dave