AW: [CFT] 2.6.0-test7: Fix use-after-free bug in ds.

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Wed Oct 15 15:57:55 BST 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:53:19PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> > I don't see why this is a particularly useful thing.
>
> Simplicity of administration.

I think most users will never have a use for this administrative
capability.  Which, to me, makes it not particularly useful.

> If a new bridge is found

What does that mean?  The only case I see this as being useful, is if
you hot plug a new PCMCIA bridge device.  Yes that's something that
would be useful to support; but it is a somewhat rare activity.
Vanishingly rare.

> I'm subscribed to several mailing lists for wireless devices.  Hardly a
> week passes without a post from somebody confused by the design of the
> PCMCIA support in Linux.

There are lots of things about PCMCIA that are more complex than they
should be and that could be done differently if it were to be redone
from scratch today on a modern kernel.  It was architected for kernels
that were much more limited.  No one knows this better than me, since
I have been dealing with the bug reports for 10 years.

-- Dave