Debug info for RequestIRQ: Resource in use

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Mon Oct 6 17:31:20 BST 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Adam D Bradley wrote:

> Is there an archive of this list?  I couldn't find one to determine
> whether this post might be redundant.  If this has been addressed
> already, sorry for the extra noise.

Look for List-Archive: header in the mailing list messages.  The archives
are here: http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia

> I get the "RequestIRQ: Resource in use" error using an orinoco wireless
> PCMCIA card (Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE) under ISA-enabled Linux 2.6.0-test6
> kernels.  I applied the debugging patch from
> http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/ (for which this list is the only stated
> contact address) and here's what I got:
>
> Oct  6 15:46:21 puddleglum kernel: cs: memory probe
> 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.

I don't see the messages from the socket initialization.  Since you
compiled PCMCIA support into the kernel, it should be in the early
messages during the boot.  If you compile PCMCIA as modules, you'll see
the messages when you load the modules.  Those messages can show what
interrupts are used.

I don't see any information about your hardware.  It appears you have two
separate PCMCIA bridges on the same interrupt.  Can you send the output of
lspci?  On the other hand, I see that "cardctl info" only reports data for
one socket.

My guess is that RequestIRQ fails because the PCMCIA subsystem request the
IRQ for exclusive use.  See function pcmcia_request_irq() in
drivers/pcmcia/cs.c.  You may want to add debugging printk calls before
the call to request_irq() to see if SA_SHIRQ is used, and if it's not, the
reason for that.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin