cs: unable to map card memory

david stevenson suse at avoncliff.com
Thu Nov 27 22:50:46 GMT 2003

Hello
I have been round in circles trying to install a pcmcia network card on a
embedded sc400 system. As I would like some advice I will try to include the
relevant parts of the story only 8-)

I tried to use the external drivers, but this failed at run time with a
message "Card Services Release does not match" I assumed this was related to
the compile time warning that the kernel sources do not match the running
kernel. As this is cross compiling from a host machine, it is true they do
not.
So I am using the internal drivers compiled into the kernel, not as modules.
From kernel boot messages:
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
Intel PCIC probe:
  Intel i82365sl A step ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
    host opts [0]: none
    host opts [1]: none
    ISA irqs (default) = 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12,14,15 polling interval = 1000 ms

When inserting network card
# cs: socket c02e4800 timed out during reset.  Try increasing setup_delay.

#cardctl ident
Socket 0:
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
  no product info available
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!
Socket 1:
  no product info available

So it is trying to work, but I guess I have either the config wrong or the
hardware is not setup correctly.
How should I be configuring the code. At run time? I have nothing in init to
run any /etc/ scripts and I am not sure which if any of these are needed for
the internal kernel code.
If I have failed to read the manual a pointer to the right place to read would
be very helpful.
Thanks
David