Did you break PCI irq probing on my ancient Thinkpad?

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Tue Jul 8 18:23:42 BST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 05:06:57PM +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Somewhere between Linux 2.5.72 and the state of the BK-CVS mirror
> yesterday something broke in the PCI interrupt probing on my old
> Thinkpad 760.
>
> Prodding around in in LKML revealed
> http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2003/Jun/5744.html
> and a look at the log for drivers/pci/probe.c shows changes by you so
> I'm taking a first stab that you may be able to help (and that I can
> help you make it work.)
>
> If I'm barking up the wrong tree please feel free to tell me.
>
> IBM thinkpad 760, Pentium 133.
>
> Immediate symptom is  no working PCMCIA slots.

Well ... this is tricky because I know there's been some tampering
with the PCMCIA code too.

> lsof:
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82437MX Mob. System Ctrlr
> (MTSC) & 82438MX Data Path (MTDP) (rev 02)
> 00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371FB PIIX ISA [Triton I] (rev 02)
> 00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1130 (rev 04)
> 00:02.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1130 (rev 04)
> 00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems TGUI
> 9660/968x/968x (rev d3)
> 00:05.0 Multimedia video controller: IBM MPEG PCI Bridge
>
> Note that this machine has always (even on 2.4.x) said
>
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:02.0. Please try
> using pci=biosirq.
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:02.1. Please try
> using pci=biosirq.
>
> even when pci=biosirq is set. The PCMCIA slots did work though.
>
> Under 2.5.74 I now see:
>
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 0000:00:02.0. Please try
> using pci=biosirq.
> ti113x: Routing card interrupts to PCI
> Yenta IRQ list 0000, PCI irq0
> Socket status: 30000006
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 0000:00:02.1. Please try
> using pci=biosirq.
> ti113x: Routing card interrupts to PCI
> Yenta IRQ list 0000, PCI irq0
>
> and new also:
> PIIXa: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:01.0
> PIIXa: chipset revision 2
> PIIXa: bad irq (0): will probe later

Does it probe later?  Does it get an interrupt assigned by the time
you're at the login prompt?

> Starting and (16 bit) PCMCIA driver now fails with
> RequestIRQ: Resource in use
>

> It looks to me like the PCI IRQ probing is broken. Any suggestions?
> Please let me know if you need further information.

I think the PCMCIA bit is the more likely to be broken.  However, you
can convince me otherwise ;-)

Send me an lspci -v from 2.5.72 and another from 2.5.74-BK, that way we
can compare them and see if anything obvious is wrong.

You could also diff the two output files yourself and see what changed ;-)

My bet's still on the PCMCIA changes being the problem.