two trivial PCMCIA patches [Was: three trivial PCMCIA patches]

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Apr 20 00:18:40 BST 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 02:32:58PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> The workaround I want to use is to try to use request_region() for the
> rest of the window in the plx9052 driver.  Note that it would be two
> windows if e.g. 0x108-0x147 was requested (0x100-0x107 and 0x148-0x17f).

Indeed.  You really should look at:

	http://patches.arm.linux.org.uk/pcmcia/

especially pcmcia-3b.diff, which is work in progress.  It isn't ideal,
and the resource handling still isn't right; although we now attempt
to claim resources for static mapped sockets, it doesn't fit your
problem area yet, since you are effectively a windowed driver but
with restrictions.

My thoughts in this area is that we want to make combine mapstatic.c
with the statically mapped socket drivers, and provide mapwindow.c
as a library for windowed sockets to use.  We also need to change the
socket driver set_mem_map and set_io_map methods to be something more
like the mem_map and mem_unmap methods of the mapping stuff in 3b.

The main problem area is working out how not to expose the CIS mapping
to the socket drivers, who should have no knowledge that CIS is
anything special.

--
Russell King (rmk at arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux