PCMCIA patches - unsuccessful so far

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Apr 16 16:30:52 BST 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Dominik Brodowski wrote:

> That's correct. cardmgr should not be needed any more.

It may be too late to do such radical changes in the 2.5 tree unless you
have a specific permission from Linus.

> > resources_available is only set in store_resources_done(), but I haven't
> > seen the debug message from that function.
>
> Yes - and that's the "problem": currently, cardmgr tells the kernel on what
> resources are available for usage by pcmcia cards (DS_ADJUST_RESOURCE_INFO).

I think this approach is wrong.  Resource handling should be done in the
kernel.  It's better to specify what resources cannot be used.  And by the
way, it's very platform-specific.

I think it would be more useful to start with resource handling and move
it where it belongs.  As for eliminating cardmgr, this could be done
later, maybe in 2.7 series.

Ideally, the drivers with device tables should work without cardmgr,
whereas the old-style drivers would require cardmgr.  That would allow
transition of the third-part drivers (there are many of them!) to the new
scheme in the 2.6 cycle.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin