[Linux-parport] IRQ storm from Express card parallel port

Andre Puschmann andre.puschmann at tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Jun 25 06:44:24 EDT 2012

Hi Martin,

On 06/25/2012 12:10 PM, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>   I played with a card from another vendor based on MosChip. It was stated
> in the manual one cannot use IRQ, only memory-mapped IO. When I did use ECP+DMA
> my Linux locked up soon. I could print fine but to scan a page I need a lot of luck.
> Well, I need a patch which you can find on this list to disable to "fix" which
> disabled ECP on many systems, inadverently, and was still necessary for 3.2.5 kernel.
> I am attaching them for your convenience.
>   I was dreaming about http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-EX-LPT.html which is based
> on Oxford chipset, hopefully working in IRQ mode as well.

Well, I am not 100% certain but the card came with a driver CD and it
contains a inf file for Windows which is copyright by Oxford Technology.
So that might mean that my adapter has the Oxford chip. Is there any way
to check without breaking the housing?

>   It probably not much helpful answer but that's all I could contribute, from my user
> experience. Threads on HPLIP forums merely document that scanning does not work
> over these adapters, mention some "soft" ECP mode used by HP printers/scanners
> if I remember right. Lookup the archives of this list, I think2 I posted some
> URLs while it was fresh in my memory. In the end I gave up.

Mmh, do you think the ECP patches help fixing this IRQ issues?

Regards,
Andre