[Linux-parport] parport driver unable to detect hardware EPP

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Mon Mar 23 09:44:59 EDT 2009

A Dilluns 23 Març 2009, Abhay Tayar va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I have written an application that communicates over EPP. It is well
> tested. It fails on certain system and my investigation revealed that
> although EPP is supported by the hardware, it is not showing up as one of
> the supported modes of the parport driver.
>
> I have 3 linux systems.
> System A is 32 bit IBM machine with RHEL5 (kernel: 2.6.18-8.el5).
> System B is 32 bit Dell machine with RHEL5 (kernel: 2.6.18-8.el5xen)
> System C is 64 bit Dell machine with RHEL5 (kernel: 2.6.27.19-5-default)
>
> All above systems has EPP selected in BIOS.
> When I execute the code it runs fine on System A but does not run as
> expected on System B and System C.
>
> cat/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes on System A shows EPP,SPP,TRISTATE.
> On system B and System C, EPP is not shown in the list.
>
> How to figure out the parport driver version? I am not much of a linux guy.
> I do not know what command to use for the same.
> Does the parport driver have a installer? I tried looking up over the
> internet but did not find any.
> What should I do, so that the EPP is supported on System B and System C
> too?

Hi,

probably you are doing the correct. The problem is that the parport driver is
broken in the Dell boxes. I have not been able to use EPP mode in any of the
Dell boxes that I have in the lab, and I can say you that we have several.

What to do? i don't know. If you have contact with the dell provider, press
them to help to the linux kernel gurus to solve it. Also, you can look on
this mail archive, and look for a mail that someones send me about it. It
show me a method to solve this issue, but I tested it and it didn't work.

Regards,

Leo