[Linux-parport] Writing data to parallel

Dirk Jagdmann jagdmann at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:42:15 EST 2009

Hello Andrea,

> I need to have a simple driver to output data on parallel port and catch
> interrupts.

I am 100% sure, that you don't need any kernel code for your task.
Have a look at http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/html/ppdev.html
how to interface the ppdev driver from user-space code. You can
read/write all parallel port bits and even wait for interrupts.

> I wrote and installed one, but apparentely the instructions like
> outb(val,port) have no effect.

You need to compile with -O2 to have inlines outb/inb opcodes. But as
I said above, stay in userland by using ppdev.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj