[Linux-parport] EPP modes

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Mon Mar 3 05:22:22 EST 2008

Hi,

I would like to ask you a trivial question about the parport module, and maybe
you could me point in the write address. The problem began because we have a
device in our lab (haptic) that "needs" the EPP mode to run.

We have connected it to a Dell Optiplex (with Intel 945G chipset) , that the
bios is claiming that it support EPP mode (and it's activated ..). However
the parport module says:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]

Looking on the web, the typical answer to this question have been always:
- if the driver doesn't show it is because it couldn't use it.

I have realised that all the boxes that we have here using 2.6.18 (debian
kernel stock and 2.6.22) nones has EPP active. Also with kernels more recent.
Also, only in a lab of 7 different boxes, only one could support EPP, when
_ALL_  of them the bios claims to support it.

So my question are:
Is this a problem of the driver? This driver is unmaintained?

Thanks in advance,

Leo