[Linux-parport] Activating EPP mode

SystemsGroup RENCorp systems_rencorp at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 09:58:40 EST 2007

We have a Dell PowerEdge 840 that does not have an onboard parallel port. An expansion PCI card of an ECP/EPP parallel port (PCI1P from StarTech.com) was added. The output of "dmesg | grep parport" is:

  parport0: PC-style at 0xdcf8 (0xdce8) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: faking semi-colon
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5100 Series
parport0: PC-style at 0xdcf8 (0xdce8) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: faking semi-colon
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5100 Series
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

  I.e. EPP (nor ECP) is not listed.

  There has been a problem with the operation of a printer (HP LaserJet 5100) that is attached to the computer through the parallel port. The printing service sometimes got hanging. A suspicion is that the problem was caused by that non-active EPP mode. We would like to know how to activate EPP mode on the parallel port. Any idea, clue or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

  Best regards,
  Systems Group