[Linux-parport] parport permissions after boot

J Fairbairn jonf.parport at mailnull.com
Wed Nov 29 06:07:34 EST 2006

On 2006-11-27 at 14:04MST rtwas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems the parport driver system creates the /dev/parport0,1..n on the
> fly after every boot. Unfortunately
> it sets the permissions to root, root (instead of root, users or root,
> lp). This is a big problem for me/us here
> since we use the ppdev driver and the parallel port for a classroom of
> Highschool students. We shutdown
> all the computers regularly and manually setting the permissions over
> N-machines is cumbersome.
>  Is there a way to configure the driver to do something different at boot?

This depends on what distribution you are using, among
others.  If the system uses udev, you can set the
permissions, owner and group from the configuration for
udev, which is probably somewhere in /etc (/etc/udev on
Fedora).  The other thing to watch out for is that logging
in at the console can cause pam to apply changes to the
device permissions, again depending on OS configuration.

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk