[Linux-parport] Re: [RFC]: add sysfs support to parport_pc, v3

Marko Kohtala marko.kohtala at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:17:51 EST 2006

2006/1/5, Andrew Morton <akpm at osdl.org>:
> "Jason Dravet" <dravet at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >From: Greg KH <greg at kroah.com>
>
> 6 is OK - it's LP_MAJOR.
>
> However 99 is JSFD_MAJOR, used by drivers/sbus/char/jsflash.c.  And yet my
> /dev/parport0 is also 99:0 (RH 7.3 and RH FC1).  I've no idea how that came
> about??
>
> bix:/home/akpm> grep parport /etc/makedev.d/*
> /etc/makedev.d/generic:a generic parport
> /etc/makedev.d/linux-2.4.x:c $PRINTER              99   0  1   8 parport%d

JSFD is a block device so tha majors are ok. I'm not just sure if the
PP_MAJOR from linux/ppdev.h should be moved to major.h.

The patch by Jason however is not ok. He had another problem and this
is not the fix. What he tries to do is already in lp and ppdev, where
I think they belong.

There is also something weird: why does RedHat create these nodes in
/dev when udev already does that.