[Linux-parport] microtek slimscan c3 freezes system

Adam Baker parport at baker-net.org.uk
Sun Oct 2 15:29:27 EDT 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 06:52, you wrote:
> Thanks for the response. I had a look at /var/log/messages & find this:
>
> Sep 28 06:30:34 libranet kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778),
> irq 7, dma 3 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
>

> It looks like I need to enable EPP mode with the patch, I'm just not
> sure exactly how to accomplish this as I am a "newbie" & usually require
> detailed instructions. Thanks for any help.
>
>                                                   wk

Installing the patch requiresyou to first install the kernel source package. I
then prefer to take a copy of the entire source directory to work on. Change
directory to that copy.

You then need to feed the patch to a program called patch which will modify
the kernel source - the -p1 option is usually required to get the path names
correct.

The next step I'd recommend is to type make cloneconfig which will configure
your kernel source with an identical set of options to the running kernel
(unless you know you want to change some).

Next type make to build the kernel and copy drivers/parport/partport_pc.ko
to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/parport. (Note that the ` is a
backwards apostrophe causing unmae to be run revealing the correct kernel
version to specify above.

Finally you need to activate the patch, either by rebooting or by using rmmod
and modprobe to stop and restart just that module. The latter can be tricky
as you need to use lsmod as well to work out what dependencies you also need
to remove.