[Linux-parport] Pb using parport CDROM under Linux (works under windows)

Pierre Mathé pmathe at tiscali.fr
Fri Mar 4 08:28:37 EST 2005

I have an old laptop that I try to convert to Linux.
I used to use (under Windows 95) a CDROM connected to the parallel port, and
it works.
This is a "no-name" unit, the only info that I have is on the Windows drivers
diskette label : it says "driver for external CDROM HITACHI 8X, ref :
NEWCDESH8-01. Amongst other files, it contains one named epatcd.mpd, From
what I infer that it probably uses an epat protocol.

I have connected ths unit to my "normal" PC (Pentium III) running Mandrake
10.1 (kernel 2.6.8.1)
I also have set the EPP mode during BIOS setup

I have loaded the paride modules and all modules related to  a pcd device
i.e. :
modprobe paride
modprobe bpck
modprobe frpw
modprobe friq
modprobe epat

a lsmod gives :
Module                  Size  Used by
epat                    9924  0
friq                   10464  0
frpw                    9344  0
bpck                   12640  0
paride                  6592  4 epat,friq,frpw,bpck
nls_iso8859-1           3680  0
nls_cp437               5312  0
msdos                   7200  0
ircomm-tty             21896  0
ircomm                 11940  1 ircomm-tty
irda                  119932  2 ircomm-tty,ircomm
crc-ccitt               1664  1 irda
sg                     33788  0
sr_mod                 15140  0
parport_pc             30976  1
lp                      9548  0
parport                33896  3 paride,parport_pc,lp
In dmesg one can see:

paride: bpck registered as protocol 0
paride: frpw registered as protocol 1
paride: friq registered as protocol 2
paride: epat registered as protocol 3

When I try to mount the pcd0 device I have the following error message :
"/dev/pcd0 is not a valid block device" (approximate translation from french)
and in dmesg :

pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0
pcd0: Autoprobe failed
pcd: No CD-ROM drive found