[Linux-parport] Incorrect permissions on parport sysctls.

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 06:11:10 EDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:44:41AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> We have a bunch of 'probe' sysctl's in parport, which are
> readable. (world readable even). Make them write-only.
> Without this, sysctl -a will try to read these files.

??

This change is wrong.  The probing happens at module load time, and
the IEEE 1284 device IDs are stored for later retrieval to user space
via these sysctls.

They are backed by read-only variables.  Reading does not trigger any
device interaction.

Make them 0400 if you think it's a security issue: but then,
/proc/ide/hda/model etc should also get the same treatment.

Tim.
*/