[Linux-parport] Parport signals stability with SiS chipset

tdlt at cecm.usp.br tdlt at cecm.usp.br
Tue Mar 16 22:15:03 GMT 2004

	I have two computers with SiS chipsets and both of them have the
	same problem.

	When I try to send the data through the parallel port inside a
	while(1), the state of the pins is as I would like they to be,
	showing that the port sends the data, but not maintain the pins
	voltage.

	Under MS-Windows the stability of pins voltage is OK.

	I have problems printing large images using the parallel port in
	ECP or EPP mode, so I use this in SPP mode and I believe it is
	related to our problem with pins voltage...

	A workaround is to connect the port to a latch IC (i.e.
	74373, 74374) and use one of the control pins as gates. I tried
	this and got good results (except that I cannot use one of the
	control pins). In your case it would work once you would make
	the program to control the jtag (at least is what I think).

	I don't know what is the problem with the SiS chipset and the
	Linux, but I tried this with kernel 2.2.21 and the problem is
	within it too, showing that the problem was not perceived or
	reported once before.

	I can help with the electronic solution (latch), but I don't
	know so much about Linux kernel source to help with the
	software...

	Thank you all.

--
Thiago A. M. Delatorre