[Linux-parport] libieee1284 open/claim gives ppdev error

christian.braun at ch.abb.com christian.braun at ch.abb.com
Tue Mar 9 16:27:30 GMT 2004

Hello!

I'm trying to write a program that reads in the status lines on the
parallel port. For that I intend to use libieee1284... but my program
fails when I try to use the libieee1284 function to claim the port.
I do without the ieee1284_get_deviceid since I already know what port I
will use (the device will be permanently connected) but otherwise I follow
the sequence given in the libieee1284 Public interface description by Tim
Waugh (find_ports, open, claim, (..., release, close)).

The Problem is that when I try to claim the port, the program terminates
with the Error E1284_SYS (-8), errno giving a

"No such device or address".

I actually have that problem on two computers here, one being a Intel PIII
machine with standard SuSE Linux 8.1 (Kernel 2.4.21) and the other one an
embedded PC-Board with an AMD ELAN520 processor running a
Debian-Woody-based bud largely customized Linux distribution. On the SuSE
there's that problem with no further error messages while on the Debian
system additionally the message

"ppdev0: failed to register device!"

appears for both the open and the claim routine (but the open routine does
not hand back an error while the claim routine fails).

Can anybody help me? Any Ideas?

Thanks a lot!
Christian Braun