[Linux-parport] Connecting 2 PCs directly over an "8-wire Fast

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jun 29 09:07:35 EDT 2004

  Daniel Tahin <daniel.t at a1.net>,
  In a message on Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:07:35 +0200, wrote :

DT> Thank you for your detailed description!
DT>
DT> If I correct understand you, the paralell port can function only in one
DT> direction with the maximum bandwidth. From PC to device. But I found a
DT> documentation, that describes the ECP mode of paralell port. In this
DT> case the port can function in both direction (the device can send data
DT> to PC as well). Put the documentation to the web site.
DT> I would like to use the port in ECP mode, and this means, the PC, that
DT> receives the data, should reverse the direction of the port (to input).
DT> I seen in a Linux source, that there is a way to control each of the
DT> lines of a port.

The data bits are bi-directional on modern PC parallel ports.  The
problem is that the *hardware* handshaking logic is not symmetrical.  It
could very well be that a true *slave* device can send data to a PC at
a reasonably high rate, but this is not the case for two PCs wired
back-to-back.

DT> Or is it not so easy:-))?

For the case of two PCs it is not easy.  "PC<=>PC" is not the same as
"PC<=>device".  The documentation you have seen most likely relates to
"PC<=>device", not "PC<=>PC".  The parallel port, unlike, for example
the RS232 port, is NOT a fully symmetrical I/O device.