[Linux-parport] /dev/lp0: No such device

Sindi Keesan keesan at iamjlamb.com
Sat Aug 14 19:22:00 EDT 2004

I wrote to the list earlier when mdacon and parport_pc conflicted and was
told to do:
insmod parport_pc io=0x378

This fixed mdacon.  (I did not have this problem on another computer with
an MDA card with parallel port.)

On this computer dmesg tells me:
parport0:  PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]

This is the parallel port in my MDA (Hercules generic) card that was
causing the parport_pc problem in this computer (the MDA screen got
jumbled when parport_pc probed for addresses).

I have disabled the onboard parport.

I try to print using:

cat filename.txt > /dev/lp0

It looks like something might be happening but then I just get a screen
prompt again.

On two other computers without MDA card, just the onboard parport,
printing works, with both cat and ghostscript.

Is there something I can do to make printing work in linux on this
computer?  Might a different MDA card work better?  I have one MDA card
with no parport that I could try there.  I don't need two parports.  I
have a switch box to share one port.

Or can I do something with software instead of changing the hardware?  I
don't need to specify IRQ 7 on other computers but would it help here, and
if so do I do so while doing

insmod parport or parport-pc and how?
insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3?  (I found this somewhere).

Probably not relevant, but the only odd thing about this computer is it
appears not to have a scroll buffer in linux (shift PgUp or PgDn don't
work).  The DOS kermit scroll buffer (PgUp) works fine.  It is circa 1997,
P I.  I am using SW7.1 (basiclinux 2).

Sindi Keesan (linux newbie)