Should NVME_SC_INVALID_NS be translated to BLK_STS_IOERR instead of BLK_STS_NOTSUPP so that multipath(both native and dm) can failover on the failure?

Jirong Feng jirong.feng at easystack.cn
Wed Mar 20 20:06:34 PDT 2024

> Hey Jirong,
>
> We do not yet understand if this works for Linux nvme-mpath (which
> iirc requires a suggested host-side patch).
> Once we understand that we can take the changes to mainline.

My last test(native multipath) was done on kernel 4.18.0-147.3.1.el8_1,
the result is ocassional failure.

Refer to your previous reply to my question, this time I changed the
cntlid_min/cntlid_max range, making it single subsystem from different
targets.
then I retested, here's the result:

1. on kernel 4.18.0-147.3.1.el8_1, the failure still occurs.
2. on kernel 6.6.0, no failure. (about 50 times)
3. on kernel 6.6.0 applying your host-side patch, no failure.