[RFC RESEND 00/16] Split IOMMU DMA mapping operation to two steps

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Tue Mar 5 04:05:23 PST 2024

On 2024-03-05 11:18 am, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> This is complimentary part to the proposed LSF/MM topic.
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rdma/22df55f8-cf64-4aa8-8c0b-b556c867b926@linux.dev/T/#m85672c860539fdbbc8fe0f5ccabdc05b40269057
>
> This is posted as RFC to get a feedback on proposed split, but RDMA, VFIO and
> DMA patches are ready for review and inclusion, the NVMe patches are still in
> progress as they require agreement on API first.
>
> Thanks

> The DMA mapping operation performs two steps at one same time: allocates
> IOVA space and actually maps DMA pages to that space. This one shot
> operation works perfectly for non-complex scenarios, where callers use
> that DMA API in control path when they setup hardware.
>
> However in more complex scenarios, when DMA mapping is needed in data
> path and especially when some sort of specific datatype is involved,
> such one shot approach has its drawbacks.
>
> That approach pushes developers to introduce new DMA APIs for specific
> datatype. For example existing scatter-gather mapping functions, or
> latest Chuck's RFC series to add biovec related DMA mapping [1] and
> probably struct folio will need it too.
>
> These advanced DMA mapping APIs are needed to calculate IOVA size to
> allocate it as one chunk and some sort of offset calculations to know
> which part of IOVA to map.

I don't follow this part at all - at *some* point, something must know a
range of memory addresses involved in a DMA transfer, so that's where it
should map that range for DMA. Even in a badly-designed system where the
point it's most practical to make the mapping is further out and only
knows that DMA will touch some subset of a buffer, but doesn't know
exactly what subset yet, you'd usually just map the whole buffer. I
don't see why the DMA API would ever need to know about anything other
than pages/PFNs and dma_addr_ts (yes, it does also accept them being
wrapped together in scatterlists; yes, scatterlists are awful and it
would be nice to replace them with a better general DMA descriptor; that
is a whole other subject of its own).

> Instead of teaching DMA to know these specific datatypes, let's separate
> existing DMA mapping routine to two steps and give an option to advanced
> callers (subsystems) perform all calculations internally in advance and
> map pages later when it is needed.

 From a brief look, this is clearly an awkward reinvention of the IOMMU
API. If IOMMU-aware drivers/subsystems want to explicitly manage IOMMU
address spaces then they can and should use the IOMMU API. Perhaps
there's room for some quality-of-life additions to the IOMMU API to help
with common usage patterns, but the generic DMA mapping API is
absolutely not the place for it.

Thanks,
Robin.