Error when running fio against nvme-of rdma target (mlx5 driver)

Arthur Muller arthur_mueller at gmx.net
Wed Jan 31 06:01:01 PST 2024

On Wed, 2024-01-31 at 05:18 -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 06:34:00AM +0100, Arthur Muller wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > We've encountered a similar issue. In our case, we are using the
> > Lustre
> > file system instead of NVMe-oF to connect our storage over the
> > network.
> > Our setup involves an AMD EPYC 7282 machine paired with Mellanox
> > MT28908 cards. Following the guidelines in the Nvidia
> > documentation:
> >
> > https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/display/mlnxenv584150lts/installing+mlnx_en#src-2477565014_InstallingMLNX_EN-InstallationModes
> >
> > we compiled the MLNX_EN 5.8 LTS driver using VMA. Additionally, we
> > experimented with the latest MLNX_EN 23.10 driver, encountering the
> > same issue.
>
> If you use the nvidia out of tree junk you are completely on your own
> and have no one to blame but yourself.  Any problems with that do not
> belong on a Linux mailing list.

Dear Christoph,

thank you very much for your reply pointing me to the possible cause of
the problem. I am not blaming anybody. According to the history of this
thread I was assuming that there might be an unsolved IOMMU issue and
just provided some context, hoping I can help debugging it. There are
some IOMMU-related theads on Kernel's Bugzilla. Mentioned setup was the
most similar to our.

Kind regards,
Arthur Müller