Western Digital SSD freezes on power saving

Damien Le Moal dlemoal at kernel.org
Sun Jan 28 06:17:44 PST 2024

On 1/28/24 23:04, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 01:26:23PM +0100, Frank Tornack wrote:
>>
>> Hello Linux kernel developers and experts,
>>
>> I have a question that I think is not tied to a specific distribution
>> and goes pretty deep into the Linux kernel. I hope you can help me
>> without subscribing to the mailing list and remember to include me in
>> the answer discussion.
>>
>> In my old notebook I used an nvme-ssd from WD (wds500g1b0c-00s6u0),
>> which is affected by a well-known bug. I currently use the parameter
>> `nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0` to prevent the system from
>> freezing.
>>

> What well-known bug?

Indeed... What bug ? Is there a firmware update for that SSD ?

>> I would like to use a new SSD in my new notebook. However, as it is
>> difficult to sell used SSDs, I would like to continue using the old SSD
>> affected by the bug. I plan to move the SSD to a Thunderbolt enclosure
>> for this purpose. I think since Thunderbolt is based on PCIe, the same
>> energy saving measures and the associated bugs will probably apply.
>>
>> In the hope that my new SSD doesn't have the same bug, I would prefer
>> not to disable the Powersafe in the laptop. Is there a way to set this
>> flag only for a specific SSD? By identifying it by name or serial
>> number?

echo 0 > /sys/block/nvmeXnY/device/power/pm_qos_latency_tolerance_us

will have the same effect as nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 but for this
device only. For reliable device name, see under /dev/disk/by-id and find your
"buggy" nvme device there using its model name+fw-revision.

If a more permanent fix is needed, then we would need to add a quirk for this
device to the nvme driver.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research