[LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] State Of The Page

Christoph Lameter (Ampere) cl at linux.com
Wed Jan 24 09:51:02 PST 2024

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> I'd like to keep this topic relevant to as many people as possible.
> I can add a proposal for a topic on both the PCP and Buddy allocators
> (I have a series of Thoughts on how the PCP allocator works in a memdesc
> world that I haven't written down & sent out yet).

Well the PCP cache's  (I would not call it an allocator) intent is to
provide cache hot / tlb hot pages. In some ways this is like the SLAB/SLUB
situation. I.e. lists of objects vs. service objects that are
locally related.

Can we come up with a design that uses a huge page (or some
arbitrary page size) and the breaks out portions of the large page? That
way potentially TLB use can be reduced (multiple sections of a large page
use the same TLB) and defragmentation occurs because allocs and frees
focus on a selection of large memory sections.

This is rougly equivalent to a per cpu page (folio?) in SLUB where cache
hot objects can be served from a single memory section and also freed back
without too much interaction with higher level more expensive components
of the allocator.