[Report] blk-zoned/ZNS: non_power_of_2 of zone->len]

Bart Van Assche bvanassche at acm.org
Thu Jan 11 19:46:36 PST 2024

On 1/11/24 19:34, Damien Le Moal wrote:
> On 1/12/24 12:29, Ming Lei wrote:
>> Just saw Bart's work on supporting non-power_of_2 zone len:
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/dc89c70e-4931-baaf-c450-6801c200c1d7@acm.org/

Hmm ... weren't these patches developed by Pankaj Raghav from Samsung?

>> IMO FS support might be another topic, cause FS isn't the only user,
>> also without block layer support, the device isn't usable, not mention FS.
>
> And if the FS requires a power of 2 zone size, that will create fragmentation of
> the zoned device support: some devices will be usable with an FS, others not.
> Not nice at all. That is *not* something that exists today, for any block
> device. I am not very keen on going down such route.

F2FS supports zone sizes that are not a power of two. Recent Android
kernels have support for zone sizes that are not a power of two in the
block layer since UFS vendors requested support for this. We prefer to
have support in the upstream kernel for zone sizes that are not a power
of two because having to carry out-of-tree patches is painful.

Thanks,

Bart.