blktests: running nvme and srp tests with real RDMA hardware

Bart Van Assche bvanassche at acm.org
Tue Oct 24 06:57:51 PDT 2023

On 10/23/23 19:59, Shinichiro Kawasaki wrote:
> Hello blktests users,
>
> As of today, software RDMA driver "siw" or "rdma_rxe" is used to run "nvme"
> group with nvme_trtype=rdma or "srp" (scsi rdma protocol) group. Now it is
> suggested to run the test groups with real RDMA hardware to run tests in
> more realistic conditions. A GitHub pull request is under review to support
> it [1]. If you are interested in, please take a look and comment.
>
> [1] https://github.com/osandov/blktests/pull/86

When I wrote the SRP tests, my goal was to test the SRP initiator
driver, SRP target driver and dm-multipath drivers and also to allow
users who do not have RDMA hardware to run these tests. Running these
tests against a real RDMA adapter tests other functionality than block
layer code. I see this as a use case that falls outside the original
scope of the blktests test suite. Running NVMe tests against a real
storage array also falls outside the scope of testing block driver
functionality. I'm fine with adding this functionality but I hope that
it does not become a burden for blktests contributors who are not
interested in maintaining functionality that falls outside the original
scope of blktests.

Bart.