[bug report][bisected] nvme authentication setup failed observed during blktests nvme/041 nvme/042 nvme/043

Shinichiro Kawasaki shinichiro.kawasaki at wdc.com
Tue Nov 14 17:44:46 PST 2023

On Nov 13, 2023 / 09:58, Chris Leech wrote:
> Hi Yi Zhang,
>
> Where is your kernel configuration coming from?  If it's carried forward
> from an older kernel, it may have the NVME_AUTH symbol set but not
> NVME_HOST_AUTH.  That would now just enabled the shared host/target core
> auth code, but not the host support.  I think updating your kernel
> config to include NVME_HOST_AUTH will fix this.

Hi, Yi, Chris,

I observed the same failure using kernel version v6.7-rc1. In my environment,
five test cases failed from nvme/041 to nvme/045. I enabled NVME_HOST_AUTH and
confirmed the failures go away.

My understanding is that the test cases newly require NVME_HOST_AUTH since
kernel v6.7. Now I'm preparing blktests patches to check that requirement [1].
Will post them after some more confirmations.

[1] https://github.com/kawasaki/blktests/commit/e0d9d4c8b981e291baf25c6179802278cd726521