Not possible to have PI at the end of metadata

irvin cote irvincoteg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 03:52:06 PDT 2023

Hi all, I am not sure of the exact procedure/format for this type of
submission,
but I have noticed something about the code for which I had no patch but that
seemed to be at odds with the spec.
Basically if the user has formatted the namespace with a format for which
metadata size > PI size and has set the PIL bit to 0, then in nvme_init_ms
ns->pi_type is set to 0 (effectively disabling PI).
Is there a particular reason why the driver should disable PI in this
situation?
Additionally, in the description of the PIL bit in the NVME NVM
Command Set spec, it is said
that PIL shall be cleared to 0 for implementations compliant with
version 1.0 or later.
I don't really know if this is intended for the user or for the
developer and how it impacts
the above.
Thank you for your time
Cheers