Fwd: Need NVME QUIRK BOGUS for SAMSUNG MZ1WV480HCGL-000MV (Samsung SM-953 Datacenter SSD)

John Meneghini jmeneghi at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 15:07:46 PDT 2023

Yes, this is what I thought.  This is all the result of the duplicate NID check added to deal with TP4034 Dispersed Namespaces.

One suggestion I have would be to limit this check to nvme-of subsystems only. These are the only devices I am aware of out
there which support TP4034.  Moreover, all nvme-of devices report a valid NID.  It's required with NVMe Over Fabrics. The PCIe
devices, I expect, don't care. You don't really need a valid NID with a private namespace - which is what most PCIe devices are.

I'll wager that if you change nvme_global_check_duplicate_ids() to check only nvme-of subsystems, and simply continue with PCIe
subsystems, 90% of these nvme quirks can be removed.

John Meneghini
Senior Principal Platform Storage Engineer
RHEL SST - Platform Storage Group
jmeneghi at redhat.com