Fwd: Need NVME QUIRK BOGUS for SAMSUNG MZ1WV480HCGL-000MV (Samsung SM-953 Datacenter SSD)

Sagi Grimberg sagi at grimberg.me
Tue Jul 11 07:39:51 PDT 2023

>>> As far as I can tell Windows completely ignores the IDs.  Which, looking
>>> back, I'd love to be able to do as well, but they are already used
>>> by udev for the /dev/disk/by-id/ links.   Those are usually not used
>>> on desktop systems, as they use the file system labels and UUIDs, but
>>> that doesn't work for non-file system uses.
>>>
>>> And all this has been working really well with the good old enterprise
>>> SSDs, it's just that the cheap consumer devices keep fucking it up.
>>>
>>> If we'd take it away now we'd break existing users, which puts us between
>>> a rock and a hard place.
>>
>> Maybe the compromise would be to add a modparam that tells the driver
>> to ignore it altogether (like allow_bogus_identifiers) that would
>> default to false. Then people can just workaround the problem instead
>> of having the back-and-fourth with the vendor?
>>

> Module parameters do not work on a per-device basis, sorry.  This isn't
> the 1990's anymore, please do not attempt to add new ones :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like adding this. But the source of this
is that there are simply too many breakages of non-compliant consumer
drives out there that maybe a compromise would be "globally relax
compliance check in this specific area" as a workaround.

Right now each time this issue is seen in the wild, the only
resolution is either the vendor fixing it, or the driver adds
a quirk, which is positive and exactly what we want. But more
and more users complain, and there is no immediate workaround.