Fwd: Need NVME QUIRK BOGUS for SAMSUNG MZ1WV480HCGL-000MV (Samsung SM-953 Datacenter SSD)

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Tue Jul 11 05:06:09 PDT 2023

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 11:39:11AM +0200, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> Well, that "They keep pumping out more and more devices with the same
> breakage" and the "new device" comment from Pankaj below bear the
> question: should we stop trying to play "whack a mole" with all those
> quirk entries and handle devices with duplicate ids just like Windows does?

As far as I can tell Windows completely ignores the IDs.  Which, looking
back, I'd love to be able to do as well, but they are already used
by udev for the /dev/disk/by-id/ links.   Those are usually not used
on desktop systems, as they use the file system labels and UUIDs, but
that doesn't work for non-file system uses.

And all this has been working really well with the good old enterprise
SSDs, it's just that the cheap consumer devices keep fucking it up.

If we'd take it away now we'd break existing users, which puts us between
a rock and a hard place.