nvme-tls and TCP window full

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Thu Jul 6 11:42:16 PDT 2023

Hi Sagi,

I'm currently debugging my nvme-tls patches; with the rebase to latest
linus' head things started to behave erratically as occasionally a CQE
was never received, triggering a reset.

Originally I thought it's my read_sock() implementation which is to
blame, but then I fixed wireshark to do a proper frame dissecting
(wireshark merge req #11359), and found that it's rather an issue with
TCP window becoming full.
While this is arguably an issue with the sender (which is trying to send
32k worth of data in one packet), the connection never recovers from the
window full state; the command is dropped, never to reappear again.

I would have thought/hoped that we (from the NVMe side) would
be able to handle it better; in particular I'm surprised that we can
send large chunks of data at all. And that the packet is dropped due to
a protocol error without us notifying.
So question really is: do we check for the TCP window size somewhere?
If so, where? Or is it something the lower layers have to do for us?

Full packet dissection available on request.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare at suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688