Timberland nvme-cli/libnvme upstream merge - dbus dependency.

Daniel Wagner dwagner at suse.de
Fri Feb 3 08:22:13 PST 2023

On Fri, Feb 03, 2023 at 10:43:04AM -0500, John Meneghini wrote:
> I have a question for the upstream nvme maintainers.
>
> Why does libnvme, as v1.3, now have a dependency on dbus?

libnvme-mi uses a D-Bus service for discovering devices. Initially libnvme-mi
used libsystemd as D-Bus library. libsystemd is only available as shared
library, thus we can't build the library statically (yes, some people want to do
this). We switch the implementation to use libdbus. I made usre that it can
be consumed as suprojects. New library, old optional dependency.

> I thought the goal was to keep the nvme management plane as streamline and
> daemon free as possible.

Yes and it is optional. The new feature is that you can compile it
as static dependency and this is what you currently see.

The current nvme-cli meson.build configuration for libnvme is always pulling the
fallback. A workaround is to build libnvme as separate step as you would do when
packaging.

> We already have a dependency on the udev daemon.

Not on code level (no library). I don't see how we can avoid this and I don't
understand why this is now a problem.

Concerning meson version: We always used features from 0.50.0 hence the min
version of 0.47.0 was wrong. We just updated this.

Daniel