[LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Large block for I/O

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Thu Dec 21 21:09:20 PST 2023

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 12:33:08PM -0800, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> I'm interested in this topic. But I'm wondering whether the disadvantages of
> large blocks will be covered? Some NAND storage vendors are less than
> enthusiast about increasing the logical block size beyond 4 KiB because it
> increases the size of many writes to the device and hence increases write
> amplification.

Then they should not increase the logical block size for the products
where they worry about it.  It's not like larger blocks are a feature
the Linux wants, it's want that makes hardware vendors life easier and
is thus pushed by them.  Of course it doesn't make sense for every
product line, but it's not like Linux is going to stop supporting
512 byte or 4k blocks.