[LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Large block for I/O

Bart Van Assche bvanassche at acm.org
Thu Dec 21 12:33:08 PST 2023

On 12/20/23 07:03, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> I would like to discuss
>
> Large blocks for I/O
>
> Since the presentation last year there has been quite some developments
> and improvements in some areas, but at the same time a lack of progress
> in other areas.
> In this presentation/discussion I would like to highlight the current
> state of affairs, existing pain points, and future directions of development.
> It might be an idea to co-locate it with the MM folks as we do have
> quite some overlap with page-cache improvements and hugepage handling.

Hi Hannes,

I'm interested in this topic. But I'm wondering whether the disadvantages of
large blocks will be covered? Some NAND storage vendors are less than
enthusiast about increasing the logical block size beyond 4 KiB because it
increases the size of many writes to the device and hence increases write
amplification.

Thanks,

Bart.