Seeking for help with NVMe arbitration questions

Keith Busch kbusch at kernel.org
Fri Apr 28 13:06:07 PDT 2023

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 11:18:03AM -0700, Wang Yicheng wrote:

> Then this confuses me with the motivations of introducing different
> queue types. Doesn't it aim for providing some sort of prioritization?

Having a separate read queue ensures that reads won't get starved for
a command resource by a write intensive workload. AFAIK, it's not a very
common option to enable.

The poll queues are intended for latency senstive applications.  I
don't think it will be as reliable if you are running concurrently
with interrupt driven workloads: the interrupts will just preempt
the polling threads.