question about CVE-2022-3169

linan (AK) linan122 at huawei.com
Thu Nov 10 02:23:20 PST 2022

Hi,
1e866afd4bcd("nvme: ensure subsystem reset is single threaded")
fixed CVE-2022-3169.

IIUC, ERROR path I got in this CVE:
            CPU1                                CPU2
nvme_dev_ioctl                            nvme_dev_ioctl
   nvme_reset_ctrl_sync                      nvme_reset_subsystem
       reset_work
         nvme_reset_work
           nvme_setup_io_queues
             nvme_remap_bar(dev, size)
               if (size <= dev->bar_mapped_size)
                 return 0;
               iounmap
                                               reg_write32   //error
               ioremap

In nvme_remap_bar(), the premise of ioremap is "size >
dev->bar_mapped_size".
   size = NVME_REG_DBS + ((nr_io_queues + 1) * 8 * dev->db_stride);
     1)nr_io_queue = dev->nr_allocated_queues - 1, Onece set to
"nvme_max_io_queues(dev) + 1" during probe time, it could not change.
     2)db_stride is doorbell stride, it didn't change during my test
Therefore, I cant find a way to make iounmap happen.

Could you tell me how you trigger the ERROR?

Thanks,
Nan.