nvme-format: protection information enabled although metadata size is 0

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Wed Nov 2 08:42:21 PDT 2022

On 02.11.2022 16:34, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 10:27:34AM +0100, Binarus wrote:
>> On a machine with Debian Bullseye and nvme-cli 1.12, I have formatted an
>> Intel DC P3700 the following way:
>>
>>    nvme format /dev/nvme0 -l 3 -i 1 -f
>
> You correctly surmised that the device is behaving out-of-compliance
> with the specification. The device should have returned an "Invalid
> Format" error since, as you found, this is the error to return when
> "enabling protection information when there are not sufficient metadata
> resources".
>
> You're unlikely to find a fix for this EOL device, though. It's just a
> firmware bug that you should avoid.

Thank you very much for confirming that this is a bug. May I steal your time again and ask what you would do in that situation? Throw away the device because we can't trust it, or format it with 8 bytes of metadata and hope that the PI works correctly then?

In every case, I have seen in the meantime that the firmware on the device is hopelessly outdated. At first, I'll try to upgrade it. If that works, I'll repeat the test and report back.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Binarus