blktests failures with v5.19-rc1

Shinichiro Kawasaki shinichiro.kawasaki at wdc.com
Wed Jun 15 21:42:12 PDT 2022

On Jun 16, 2022 / 07:13, Yi Zhang wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 6:01 AM Chaitanya Kulkarni
> <chaitanyak at nvidia.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > since this issue been discovered with nvme rescan and revmoe,
> > it should be added to the nvme category.
>
> We already have nvme/032 which tests nvme rescan/reset/remove and the
> issue was reported by running this one, do we still need one more?

That is a point. Current nvme/032 checks nvme pci adapter rescan/reset/remove
during I/O to catch problems in nvme driver and block layer, but actually it
can catch the problem in pci sub-system also. I think Chaitanya's motivation
for the new test case is to distinguish those two.

If we have the new test case, its code will be similar and duplicated as
nvme/032 code. To avoid such duplication, it would be good to improve nvme/032
to have two steps. The 1st step checks that nvme pci adapter rescan/reset/remove
without I/O causes no kernel WARN (or any other unexpected kernel messages). Any
issue found in this step is reported as a pci sub-system issue. The 2nd step
checks nvme pci adapter rescan/reset/remove during I/O, as the current nvme/032
does. With this, we don't need the new test case, but still we can distinguish
the problems in nvme/block sub-system and pci sub-system.

> > I don't think so we could have caught it long time back,
> > but we clearly did not.

I see, then it looks that blktests is the test suite to test it.

--
Shin'ichiro Kawasaki