nvme nvme0: I/O 0 (I/O Cmd) QID 1 timeout, aborting, source drive corruption observed

J. Hart jfhart085 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:10:30 PST 2022

On 12/19/22 11:41 PM, Keith Busch wrote:
> Given the potential flakiness of read corruption, I'd disable relaxed
> ordering and see if that improves anything.

I am not familiar with this part.  How is this done ?

>>                          MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
>>                  DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr+ TransPend-
>>                  LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Latency L0 <1us, L1 <8us
>>                          ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
>>                  LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
>>                          ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
>>                  LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

> Something seems off if it's downtraining to Gen1 x1. I believe this
> setup should be capable of Gen2 x4. It sounds like the links among these
> components may not be reliable.
>
> Your first post mentioned total transfer was 50GB. If you've deep enough
> queues, the tail latency will exceed the default timeout values when
> you're limited to that kind of bandwidth. You'd probably be better off
> from a performance strand point with a cheaper SATA SSD on AHCI.

It would be unfortunate I think if the linux driver could not be made to
implement the NVME standards on the somewhat older equipment from
perhaps ten or fifteen years ago.  Earlier than that is perhaps not
terribly practical of course.  Equipment like that which is still
operating does tend to be reliable, and it's something of a shame to
have to waste it. Some of us also do lack the wherewithal to update
equipment every two years, especially older people or those in areas
where the economy is not so good.  As I think we all know, there's more
of that these days then we'd like.....:-)

In any case, I'm very willing to run tests on this equipment if that
will help.  I'm fairly familiar with building kernels, writing software
and that sort of thing, but perhaps less so with fixing drivers.

J. Hart