nvme nvme0: I/O 0 (I/O Cmd) QID 1 timeout, aborting, source drive corruption observed

J. Hart jfhart085 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 08:14:07 PST 2022

> I also tried loading a smaller partition on the Samsung card at /dev/nvme0n1p3.  The copy stopped with a "no space left on device" error, which should not have been possible as the source device is a 32MB partition, and the destination partition on the nvme ssd is a 64MB partition.  The two files to be transferred were very small and could not have accounted for this as they totaled less than 5MB. I found file system damage on the nvme destination partition in this case as well. It also occurred repeatedly. I am still investigating this last case.
>
> In no instance did I note any otherwise unusual log messages or errors from the nvme driver.
>
> I do not yet know if there has been any damage to any other filesystems, but I will check.

A correction is in order above:
That smaller partition was at /dev/nvme0n1p2, not /dev/nvme0n1p3.  The
former is a 64MB partition, the latter is much larger.

I have checked for damage in all the filesystems on all the non-NVME
block devices on the system, and have found none since installing the
Samsung ssd device.

I am presently unable to safely use an NVME ssd drive as the behavior
appears to be unstable.  I can still do testing with the Samsung drive
if needed, but the Kingston has been removed, and will be returned on
Monday local time (Japan Standard, as I'm in Kobe)

J. Hart