nvme nvme0: I/O 0 (I/O Cmd) QID 1 timeout, aborting, source drive corruption observed

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Thu Dec 15 22:39:53 PST 2022

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 07:30:55AM +0900, J. Hart wrote:
> I've tried the obvious ones and that didn't help either.  I guess I'll have
> to give up on it and return it as defective.  I'll go back to normal
> operation and to try and find a controller/device combination that works
> with the linux driver if there are any.

So on the hand I agree with Keith that the device seems really broken.
On the other hand the fact that source file system on another device
sees corruption even with the iommu enabled is something that looks
scrary.  Even if ultimatively caused by the device somehow, that seems
like the kernel is part of the corruption.  And I have absolutely no
idea how.  A KASAN run on the device might be helpful, but I'm also
reluctant to ask a reported to run more reproducers and something that
corrupts his data.