NVMe write protection support

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Sat Aug 6 01:35:03 PDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 09:20:02AM +0000, Gilles Buloz wrote:
> Sorry Christoph, I'm completely newbie in NVMe and don't know what "Namespace Write Protection Config" means.

Take a look at
https://nvmexpress.org/wp-content/uploads/NVM-Express-Base-Specification-2.0b-2021.12.18-Ratified.pdf
and search for this term.

> What I mean is that all the NVMe content seen by the user is write protected.

And that is what this feature is abut.

> Our NVMe manufacturer partner has dedicated a pin of the module for global write protection.

There is no concept of a 'module' in NVMe.

> But if we enable this protection and attempt a write (we should not), we get a "critical medium error" which seems a bit brutal for a disk that is still valid but just write protected. So I would like to make sure the NVMe manufacturer has used the right method/status to report this write protection, and if possible get a less fatal error feedback.

It seems like your manufacturer needs to read the NVMe spec and
implement the correct features.