[LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: Copy Offload

Javier González javier.gonz at samsung.com
Tue Sep 28 12:13:40 PDT 2021

On 12.05.2021 07:30, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
>On 11/05/2021 02:15, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> * Background :-
>>
>> Copy offload is a feature that allows file-systems or storage devices
>> to be instructed to copy files/logical blocks without requiring
>> involvement of the local CPU.
>>
>> With reference to the RISC-V summit keynote [1] single threaded
>> performance is limiting due to Denard scaling and multi-threaded
>> performance is slowing down due Moore's law limitations. With the rise
>> of SNIA Computation Technical Storage Working Group (TWG) [2],
>> offloading computations to the device or over the fabrics is becoming
>> popular as there are several solutions available [2]. One of the common
>> operation which is popular in the kernel and is not merged yet is Copy
>> offload over the fabrics or on to the device.
>>
>> * Problem :-
>>
>> The original work which is done by Martin is present here [3]. The
>> latest work which is posted by Mikulas [4] is not merged yet. These two
>> approaches are totally different from each other. Several storage
>> vendors discourage mixing copy offload requests with regular READ/WRITE
>> I/O. Also, the fact that the operation fails if a copy request ever
>> needs to be split as it traverses the stack it has the unfortunate
>> side-effect of preventing copy offload from working in pretty much
>> every common deployment configuration out there.
>>
>> * Current state of the work :-
>>
>> With [3] being hard to handle arbitrary DM/MD stacking without
>> splitting the command in two, one for copying IN and one for copying
>> OUT. Which is then demonstrated by the [4] why [3] it is not a suitable
>> candidate. Also, with [4] there is an unresolved problem with the
>> two-command approach about how to handle changes to the DM layout
>> between an IN and OUT operations.
>>
>> * Why Linux Kernel Storage System needs Copy Offload support now ?
>>
>> With the rise of the SNIA Computational Storage TWG and solutions [2],
>> existing SCSI XCopy support in the protocol, recent advancement in the
>> Linux Kernel File System for Zoned devices (Zonefs [5]), Peer to Peer
>> DMA support in the Linux Kernel mainly for NVMe devices [7] and
>> eventually NVMe Devices and subsystem (NVMe PCIe/NVMeOF) will benefit
>> from Copy offload operation.
>>
>> With this background we have significant number of use-cases which are
>> strong candidates waiting for outstanding Linux Kernel Block Layer Copy
>> Offload support, so that Linux Kernel Storage subsystem can to address
>> previously mentioned problems [1] and allow efficient offloading of the
>> data related operations. (Such as move/copy etc.)
>>
>> For reference following is the list of the use-cases/candidates waiting
>> for Copy Offload support :-
>>
>> 1. SCSI-attached storage arrays.
>> 2. Stacking drivers supporting XCopy DM/MD.
>> 3. Computational Storage solutions.
>> 7. File systems :- Local, NFS and Zonefs.
>> 4. Block devices :- Distributed, local, and Zoned devices.
> [...]

Hi all,

Since we are not going to be able to talk about this at LSF/MM, a few of
us thought about holding a dedicated virtual discussion about Copy
Offload. I believe we can use Chaitanya's thread as a start. Given the
current state of the current patches, I would propose that we focus on
the next step to get the minimal patchset that can go upstream so that
we can build from there.

Before we try to find a date and a time that fits most of us, who would
be interested in participating?

Thanks,
Javier