[bug report] nvme removing after probe failed with pci rescan after nvme sysfs removal

Yi Zhang yi.zhang at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 19:33:14 PDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 12:58 AM Adam Manzanares
<a.manzanares at samsung.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 09:56:47AM +0800, Yi Zhang wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I found this issue during the nvme removal test, I did some debug code
> > found it was failed during nvme "CSTS – Controller Status" read, could
> > anyone help check if this is one HW or SW issue?
>
> Hello Yi,
>
> What is the nvme removal test? When I get access to the test I will run it on
> the HW on my current machine to see what happens. I don't have the same SSD in
> my current test system, but I will make sure I am able to run the test on the
> same HW you are having issues with.

Hi Adam
Here is the steps, and the server I used is DELL R730xd and DELL R640,
feel free to let me know if you need more info, thanks.

# lspci | grep -i nvme
87:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd
NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
#echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:87\:00.0/remove
#echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/rescan

Thanks
Yi