Recursive locking complaint with nvme-5.13 branch

Bart Van Assche bvanassche at acm.org
Thu Apr 1 17:09:53 BST 2021

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 09:03:36PM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>> If I boot a VM with the nvme-5.13 branch (commit 24e238c92186
>> ("nvme: warn of unhandled effects only once")) then the complaint
>> shown below is reported. Is this a known issue?
>
> This looks like someone is trying to open a nvme device as the backing
> device for pktcdvd?  In that case this is a different bd_mutex.  But
> I'm really curious why systemd would do that.

Hi Christoph,

This call trace was reported during boot. The configuration of the VM
that reported this call trace is as follows:
- Boot from a virtio disk.
- One SATA CD-ROM.
- One SATA disk.
- One IDE disk.
- One SCSI disk.
- No NVMe controller since virt-manager does not support NVMe
controllers as far as I know.

I reported this call trace to the linux-nvme mailing list instead of
linux-block since I haven't seen this call trace yet with Jens' for-next
branch.

Bart.