[LSF/MM TOPIC] irq affinity handling for high CPU count machines

Kashyap Desai kashyap.desai at broadcom.com
Thu Feb 1 08:59:22 PST 2018

Yes. That is a problematic area. If CPU and MSI-x(reply queue) is 1:1
mapped, we don't have any issue.

> > Also IMO each reply queue may be treated as blk-mq's hw queue, then
> > megaraid may benefit from blk-mq's MQ framework, but one annoying
> > thing is that both legacy and blk-mq path need to be handled inside
> > driver.

Both MR and IT driver is (due to H/W design.) is using blk-mq frame work but
it is really  a single h/w queue.
IT and MR HBA has single submission queue and multiple reply queue.

> The megaraid driver is a really strange beast;, having layered two
> different
> interfaces (the 'legacy' MFI interface and that from from
> mpt3sas) on top of each other.
> I had been thinking of converting it to scsi-mq, too (as my mpt3sas patch
> finally went in), but I'm not sure if we can benefit from it as we're
> still be
> bound by the HBA-wide tag pool.
> It's on my todo list, albeit pretty far down :-)

Hannes, this is typically same in both MR (megaraid_sas) and IT (mpt3sas).
Both the driver is using shared HBA-wide tag pool.
Both MR and IT driver use request->tag to get command from free pool.