[RFC 0/7] nvme_fc: add dev_loss_tmo support

James Smart jsmart2021 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 12:24:34 PDT 2017

On 5/4/2017 11:07 AM, jsmart2021 at gmail.com wrote:
> Also, a reconnect window only makes sense if
> the target stays alive for the duration of the window. Currently,
> there is no attempt to set KATO so that it is aligned with the window.
> In fact, in most cases, KATO is set far smaller than reconnect windows.
> There's also no way currently, other than snooping, for the transport
> to know the KATO value set in the connect command.

I should give some additional context.

Currently, if there is an error or connectivity loss, the existing
association is torn down immediately. Therefore, it is independent of
KATO and KATO doesn't really matter as a new association will always
replace the old one.

But, in the future, FC-NVME will support retransmission. Meaning we
would not immediately delete the existing association and terminate all
i/o. Therefore, it would be preferred if the association stays active at
the target at least as long as our connectivity window (if possible),
and i/o resumes, perhaps with retransmission to recover from errors that
occurred during the loss of connectivity.

So, the first solution could ignore KATO, but I'd like to discuss it for
the future.

-- james